Monday, September 1, 2008

By Any Means Necessary - Place

My video is a recording of many recordings playing at the same time. Each video is me in a different location at a different time. In a way its also a recording of my weekend. I sought to portray how "place" can happen anywhere at any given moment and even in the same moment.

This project seemed very demanding when in actuality it wasn't. The problem I had the most trouble with was finding suitable scenes or the time of day to record a scene. Having an idea is easy for the most part, but illustrating it is a completely different experience. I'm pleased with how the final piece turned out except the audio addition could have been done better. As I have no previous experience of adding sound to a video or vice verse...well, I still enjoy how it turned out. The shaky parts of the camera also add to my idea of place happening anywhere at the same time.
Direct Download to Original: http://www.zshare.net/video/18081106bf6c2c2d/

8 comments:

atheistpally said...

good concept, but the execution seems a little sloppy. there's a light on in the room which is distracting as it reflects in the monitor. also it would be nice to get closer up on the individual windows on the screen. i can't get a good sense of where you are in all the scenes because i only see parts of them at a time while the camera shakes around. it'd also be nice if the soundtrack didn't cut off so abruptly..

ry said...

I enjoy the video collage aspect of the video. Its interesting how different the videoes are. But are these describing place? It seems more like event in the plural form. The audio is soothing, good stuff man.

Jason Cole said...

You have an excellent concept and the "video collage" is uniquely interesting. However, it could benefit from a steadier shot.

Dwayne Butcher said...

i like the video collage idea that you had, and the video aspect was engaging. i think the audio is the draw back. it seems like filler audio, which i am sure that it is. or like a segment of a music video. i think with this video element allows for some experimental audio to accompany it.

*~Erin M~* said...

I liked the end product. It was interesting watching all the different videos. You would think it would be to busy and confusing but its not.

Alex said...

I like the concept. I'm not sure about the turning of the camera at certain times. There was one part that was really interesting. You can see your reflection in the monitor which suggests that you're looking back at all these videos and reliving these different places you had been.

Wesley Catlett said...

I think it is very strong and I enjoy how the video of you in the center is interacting with the other videos as if you were watching them. I also think the reflection of the light on the screen helps keep a consistency and a nice layer effect.

Jeremiah J. Patlan said...

The idea is great, but i cant see some of your screens. while i appreciate that some of these frames arent all whole, with some of them, almost too much is cut out. im mainly talking about the bigger displays in the back of the desktop.